Google
 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

R.E.M. dropping their latest album on iLike

I came across a blog post on Techdirt today that talks about R.E.M.'s latest album, Accelerate, and how it will be available on the music social network, iLike, a week before it hits stores. Techdirt referred to an MSNBC article on their blog as they explained how R.E.M. is another example of how music groups are reaching out to broader audience by allowing fans to get their music free or early in new and more dynamic ways than a CD. I mentioned Trent Reznor from the group Nine Inch Nails last week and how he has applied the same business model. I think it's a great way to promote your music and build an even bigger and more devoted fan base.

Although I don't follow R.E.M. that much, I think they have written some great alternative/pop songs that have somewhat defined a generation. One of the songs that I'll always remember from their collection is It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine). Here they are performing the song live in Toronto:

blog comments powered by Disqus